Applying for Financial Aid

How and When Should I Apply for Financial Aid?

EARN $1,000

Receive a $1,000 FAFSA Grant when you list VWU on your FAFSA

  1. The first step toward receiving merit-based scholarships and other financial aid information is to apply for admission to Virginia Wesleyan University.
  2. As soon as it becomes available in December, you should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  VWU's priority deadline is March 1.  Be sure to include the VWU school code (003767) to ensure we receive the results.
  3. Respond promptly to all requests for information or documents.
    Failure to do so could result in delays, reductions, and/or cancellations of financial aid.
  4. Award notices are sent to students.  Prospective students receive award notifications in time to make informed decisions concerning school choices.
  5. Accept or decline awards as soon as possible through the Financial Aid Self Service (FASS) portal located in MyBeacon. Grant funding is very limited, and students who fail to accept their aid in FASS in a timely fashion may lose grant funds.
  6. VWU Scholarships and grants may only be used toward tuition. All finalized financial aid will show on your statement as pending until after the start of classes. However, you must pay the difference between financial aid and your bill by the appropriate deadline to avoid late fees and canceled classes.  
  7. Students who have accepted their Financial Aid on FASS, have completed all necessary documents, Loan Counseling and Master Promissory Note will have their financial aid awards disbursed to their accounts during the second week of classes. 

*You must apply for financial aid each academic year. 

Summer Financial Aid

Summer financial aid awarding begins in April. Aid is offered based on enrollment status. You must enroll for at least 6 credit hours to qualify for Direct Federal Subsidized or Unsubsidized Stafford Loan or Direct Federal PLUS Loans eligibility with a valid FAFSA on file. Most students attending part-time or who have changed a grade level may have remaining financial aid eligibility. If you do not meet the criteria for remaining eligibility you may qualify for alternative loan financing.