Admission to the Batten Honors College is highly selective. Consideration will be given only to applicants for fall freshmen admission with the following qualifications:
A high school grade point average equal to or greater than 3.5 in combination with either:
- An ACT score equal to or greater than 27
- An SAT score equal to or greater than 1300 (test taken March 2016 and later)
How to Apply
The Batten Honors College application process requires submission of the following:
- Application for admission to Virginia Wesleyan University. Visit www.vwu.edu/applynow to begin the VWU admission process.
Note: no action will be taken regarding your Batten Honors College application prior to your admission to Virginia Wesleyan.
- Batten Honors College application which includes a short answer question, an essay, and a resume.
- Visit http://www.vwu.edu/applyBHC for the application.
- A letter of recommendation. The letter can be from anyone who you feel knows you well and can speak to your accomplishments in high school and your potential in college. Examples of who you can ask for a letter of recommendation include: a guidance/college counselor; a teacher; a coach; a job or extracurricular activity supervisor; a religious official. Unless forwarded with your high school transcript, letters of recommendation must be emailed by the author directly to Denise Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 6 - Priority Deadline for the Feb 7-9 Competition
Students who apply after the Priority deadline will be notified within two weeks of submitting their application if they have been selected to attend a competition event.
Submission of the Batten Honors College application is required by the Priority deadline of January 6, 2019. Applications submitted after January 6 will be considered on a space-available basis. Students who apply by the January 6 deadline will be notified by January 11 if they have been invited to compete.
Students who apply after the February 7-9 competition date and/or are unable to attend the competition due to limited space will be placed on a "wait list." You will be notified if you are selected for an individual interview on a space available basis, but no later than May 15, 2019.
*Reminder: You must be accepted to Virginia Wesleyan University in order to be invited to compete for the Batten Honors College scholarships. Complete the VWU application for admission here.
The Batten Honors College Admission Committee will review applications to determine which applicants will be invited to campus to compete for a seat in the Honors College and one of the two available types of scholarships awarded.
Students will be invited to come to campus for a multi-day event that will include a one-on-one interview with a professor, a group interview with the admission committee, and the opportunity to sit in on a class.
The dates for the competition are November 8-10 and February 7-9. If a student is invited to compete prior to November 8-10, he/she will be given the choice to attend either date.