Virginia Wesleyan University (www.vwu.edu), located in Virginia Beach, Virginia, invites applications for a University Chaplain. Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Chaplain provides religious, spiritual and moral leadership and counsel to the University community and facilitates church relations within the Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church. This position is a full time exempt position.
- Serve as pastor to the community offering invocations, and blessings and benedictions at University functions.
- Lead weekly Sunday worship gathering.
- Lead Bible study, fellowship, prayer and service.
- Offer pastoral care and spiritual guidance with students, faculty, and staff facing family crisis, personal identity and faith issues.
- Conduct memorial services and facilitate the gathering of friends to grieve the deaths of students, faculty, and staff.
- Assist with related University programs and events offered through the VWU Center for the Study of Religious Freedom.
- Serve on University task forces, advisory committees, and councils as needed.
- Serve as the primary liaison and represent the University at meetings of Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church.
The successful candidate will be expected to fully support and openly communicate the institutional commitment to inclusiveness in all aspects of the University ministry.
Skills, Education and Experience:
- The successful candidate will have at a minimum a Master’s of Divinity degree and be ordained in The United Methodist Church. Candidates with at least three to five years of experience in campus ministry will be preferred.
- Strong written and oral skills and proficiency with social media.
- A proven record of working successfully with young adults.
- Working knowledge of Title IX policies and procedures (serve as a confidential resource).
Deadline to Apply:
This position is open until filled.
Letters of interest and resume, including contact information for three references, should be emailed to email@example.com.
About Virginia Wesleyan University
Virginia Wesleyan University is Coastal Virginia's premier university of the liberal arts and sciences. Situated on a 300-acre park-like campus in Virginia Beach, the University annually enrolls approximately 1,600 students in undergraduate, graduate, and online programs. Undergraduate degrees include a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Social Work with 36 majors, 30 minors, and 12 pre-professional tracks. Graduate degrees include a Master of Business Administration and Master of Arts in Education. Students thrive in average class sizes of 14 and through the University's experiential learning, high-impact leadership, and career-development programs. An inclusive community dedicated to scholarship and service grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, Virginia Wesleyan University inspires students to build meaningful lives through engagement in Coastal Virginia's dynamic metropolitan region, the nation, and the world.
Virginia Wesleyan is a university with a coastal edge. Located in Virginia Beach, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay, our region is proud of its vibrant city life, sandy beaches, and rich history. Learn more at visitvirginiabeach.com/explore.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Virginia Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of skills, experience, and qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national and ethnic origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, the presence of non-job-related medical disability, or any other legally protected status.